Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Office Max?

This information is for documentation purposes only. The facts represented here do not represent any opinions I have about Office Max. I am only contesting charges made against my credit card by Office Max. Here's what happened:

I chose my items from the sales floor and brought them to the counter. When an item rang up for more than fives times the amount advertised online, in their in-store flyer, and the hangtag right above the item on the shelf, I protested. As it turned out the store has put the wrong hangtag with the item. I returned the item and fetched the appropriate one, and when I returned, the customer service representative informed me that she was unable to change the transaction, and said she would have to clear it out, and then return the item, and start a new transaction for the change. Mind you, this was all happening in one trip to the store - I never left!

It sounded strange to me, but trying to be polite I agreed. The next bit of news was that the money could not be refunded to me, but could only be given back as a gift card. This blew my mind. Rather than blame it on the customer service representatives, I decided to take it up with customer service at a later date.

I called their 800 number yesterday and explained the situation to them. Can you believe what they told me? They told me that I would have to go back to the store to have the tansaction reversed. Unfortunately, that is where the problem started and I'm not wasting my time to get put on a wild goose chase.

Office Max has fraudulently billed my credit card against my will. I attempted to contest the charges with my credit card however they said that since the transaction had yet to post, they could do nothing. I will call again today.

Updates: September 1, 2006
I believe that OfficeMax has agreed to refund me the charges they made to my card. I haven't read that in writing yet, though I did see something along the lines of it on my last credit card statement.

In unrelated matters, my business recently applied for a credit account for OfficeMax and was denied. Their credit accounts are underwritten by HSBC, and, as you may know, I don't like HSBC.

1 Comments:

Blogger instoremarketer said...

I have disputed the charges against my credit card. We'll see what OfficeMax has to say in response.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home